About the Sisters
Our Foundress Mary MacKillop
Julian Tenison Woods
Donate to our Work
May 09, 2014
Over 500 guests joined the Perthville Sisters on Saturday 3rd May as they celebrated their Congregation’s reunion with the original Sisters of St Joseph from whom they had been separated for over 100 years.
Following a long and thorough process of discernment, a request had been made to Rome with the support of the Bishop of Bathurst. News of Vatican approval had finally arrived for the “fusion” of the two groups under the original governance structure.
From the warm greetings and happy chatter between the Sisters gathered from all over Australia and New Zealand, it was obvious that the reunion of hearts had long been firmly in place.
Mass and luncheon to celebrate the historic occasion were held in the Hall of MacKillop College in Bathurst where the Perthville Boarders attend school. The plan had been for an outdoor gathering in the beautiful grounds at Perthville itself, but like the day the first Sisters arrived at Perthville in mid-July 1872, the weather was “inclement” and most guests coming from out of Bathurst had travelled through light snow.
Unlike the bleak weather, the atmosphere of the gathering was one of down-to-earth joy and happy reunions with families, friends, co-workers, former Sisters, ex-students and Associates from far and wide.
Sr Jean Cain RSJ