Sunday, 31st January 2010, marked the launch of the Sustainable Living Committee in the South Australian Province. This group was formed in response to the last Province Chapter which called on us to
“re-form an awareness of our interrelatedness with the earth and
the use of its resources, integrating this into Josephite life”
The General Chapter went on to challenge us to “….continue to discern our relationship with earth by:
- Acting to halt damage to the earth.
- Taking personal responsibility for our lifestyle. > Acting for policy change.
- Developing a structure that links Congregational ecological and environmental ministries.”
The purpose of the committee is to provide a forum and a vehicle to increase Province awareness regarding the needs of our environment. Its guiding principles are:
- To continue to acknowledge and respect the original inhabitants of the land and to learn the lessons they have to teach us.
- To liaise with other Josephite groups working in environmental areas.
- To continue to educate ourselves around the needs of our universe.
- To cooperate with all movements working towards care of the environment.
- To advocate where appropriate/needed.