Chapters 27th to 35th

There was great joy among the Sisters in Brisbane when, on 5th January [1872] their dear Father Founder arrived; yet they were saddened by his worn and haggard appearance.….The following day, he began a retreat for the Sisters, which occupied five days….[1]

The Holy See commissioned two prelates to enquire into the controversies that had arisen [in Adelaide.…It now became necessary for Father Woods to return to Adelaide and he left Sydney on the 8th of June … after an absence of eleven months… [2]

There is no need to tell of the pleasure [Father Woods’] coming [to Adelaide] brought to those who had so long watched and prayed for his safe arrival; but it was intermingled with sorrow.  Those who were appointed to arrange matters considered it advisable in the interests of peace and unity that he should not remain permanently…. Therefore, after visiting different places to see and say farewell to the Sisters, he prepared to depart from Adelaide, never more to behold it…[3]

And now began his real mission life…[4]

Most of this year was [1873] spent as was the last one – missions, lectures and retreats occupying the main portion of it…[5]

He again advised Sister Mary to go to Rome…  The letter written in March did not reach Sister Mary in time.  She had written eight letters to Father Woods… Father Woods was at Maryborough when the news of her departure reached him; he was much disappointed, as he had made up his mind to see her before she left…[6]

The Bishop of Hobart invited Father Woods to continue the missions which Father Hinteroecker had commenced, and which his lamented death had interrupted. The invitation was gladly accepted and Father Woods sailed for Hobart.[7]

Nineteen years had elapsed since he went to Hobart with Dr Wilson….[8] Giving missions in Launceston, Deloraine, Westbury, Longford and many  other places entailed plenty of travelling among the crags and glens of the beautiful island … and the invigorating climate had a beneficial effect on his health … In his spare moments, as usual, he made notes and wrote scientific papers…It was a long time since he had published any scientific writings; they were continued now as long as he lived, but they never interfered with religious duties…[9]

This year he commenced a Community of Sisters, who were not to teach, but to employ themselves in needlework. He called them the Sisters of Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.  He sent several candidates from Tasmania to unite with others whom he had already arranged in Sydney and the whole band proceeded to Brisbane…[10]

At the end of 1874, Sister Mary returned, bringing a revised Rule for the acceptance of the Sisters…[11]

Please continue reading below (from paragraph 11):

Julian Tenison Woods: A Life – Chapters 27th to 35th (PDF)

This extract is taken from:

Chapters 27th to 35th of Julian Tenison Woods: A Life has been used with the kind permission of the Trustees of the Sisters of Saint Joseph 1997 and the publishers, St Paul’s Publications. This extract concludes the book.

For the full story, as told by St Mary MacKillop, it is recommended that you read the complete text which includes an informative introduction, footnotes and an index.

This book is available online and from some Mary MacKillop Centres.

You can access past chapters below:

Julian Tenison Woods: A Life

Carmel Jones rsj


[1] Chapter 27th, p.180
[2] Chapter 27th, pp. 186-187
[3] Chapter 28th, p. 188
[4] Chapter 28th, p. 191
[5] Chapter 28th, p. 198
[6] Chapter 28th, p. 199
[7] Chapter 28th, p. 201
[8] Chapter 30th, p. 202
[9] Chapter 30th, p. 203
[10] Chapter 30th, p. 204
[11] Chapter 30th, p. 205